In this article, the authors describe how they helped their prospective teachers to understand numeracy by writing open-ended mathematical tasks based on articles from the news. ‘Mathematics in The News’ may be a useful rich context for teachers to consider using in their school mathematics classes, with the potential to prompt students’ mathematical thinking.Mathematics in the news
- Designing Non-routine Mathematical Problems as a Challenge for High Performing Prospective Teachers.
- Promoting teachers’ scaffolding of students’ mathematical language in a professional development programme
- Webinar: Professional development in ‘Mathematics in play’
- Mathematics teacher educators’ professional development as by-product of practice based research: the ELWIeR research group
- To what extent do student teachers develop their mathematical problem solving ability by self-study?